I do love a waffle. Topped with fruit for breakfast or melted chocolate for dessert, waffles are a truly versatile treat.
All you need is a waffle iron and a great recipe to win some serious brownie (waffle?) points in your house.
If early mornings are tough and you don’t have time for baking, you can even make the batter the night before – it should keep in the fridge for up to two days, just give it a light stir before using.
Here is my perfect waffle recipe – it’s simple, foolproof and delicious.
How to make waffles: Simple and easy recipe
The one thing to be careful of is not over-mixing the batter as waffles should be light and fluffy inside.
Tough waffles are one of life’s biggest disappointments.
- 4 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 800ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g self raising flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 200g melted unsalted butter (plus more for greasing the waffle iron)
1. Preheat the waffle maker.
2. Whisk the egg yolks with the milk and vanilla extract.
3. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk further.
4. Stir in the caster sugar.
5. Pour in the melted butter and stir until just combined.
6. In a seperate bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and carefully fold them into the mixture. Careful not to over-mix.
7. Once the waffle iron is ready, lightly grease the plates using butter on a piece of kitchen towel (you may not need to do this depending on your machine).
8. Ladle in the mixture.
9. For my waffle iron it takes between two, and two and a half minutes for the waffles to be cooked.
10. Remove the waffles, pile on your favourite toppings and enjoy.
In my waffle maker, this recipe makes 10 waffles.
Share your views in the comments below