INTERIM Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick has confirmed Luke Shaw will be out of action for “two or three weeks”.
Shaw, 26, is set to go under the knife to have metal bolts removed from his leg that were initially put there following his horror leg break in 2015.
Shaw was forced off in the game against Leicester last weekendCredit: Getty
The left-back is having problems with the metal bolts inserted into his leg following his horror leg break from 2015Credit: PA:Empics Sport
Shaw was forced off at half time in last weekend’s 1-1 draw against Leicester.
The England star is suffering complications related to the bolts that were inserted into his right leg during the original surgery after his grisly injury.
Rangnick told reporters on Friday ahead of the weekend’s trip to Everton: “Cristiano is back again but Luke is still injured.
“We had to take him off at half-time [against Leicester] and he is having problems with his leg where he had the operation back in 2015.
“The doctor told me they have decided to remove the metal bolts in his leg – they need to be removed – and that is happening tomorrow and he will be out for the next two or three weeks.”
Shaw suffered a double right leg fracture in September 2015 during a Champions League clash against PSV Eindhoven, and was out of action for 11 months following the injury.
He first felt tenderness in the same leg while on England duty last month, with the pain then getting worse during the Leicester game, according to the Telegraph.
The setback means he will miss Saturday’s clash away at Everton, as well as games against Norwich, Liverpool and Arsenal.
Alex Telles is set to deputise at left-back in his absence for Rangnick’s Champions League chasers.
Shaw has made 27 appearances in all competitions this season for Manchester United, including 20 in the Premier League.